Frequently Asked Questions

The Most Common Electrical Questions & Answers

If you do not find the answer to your question please contact us on 0131 281 1501

As an electrical contractor we get asked a lot of common electrical questions; from homeowners, individuals looking to rent out their property and Letting Agents.

We address the most common questions here but if you have not found the answer to your question, please contact us on 0131 281 1501 and we will do our best to answer your questions and advise you on the best way forward.




How do I know if my house needs re-wiring?

Flickering or dimming lights, fuses regularly blowing, sparking sockets, discoloured sockets or switches. However, the best way to find out is to contact us and have a free electrical survey carried out where we will be able to quickly assess your current installation.


Is all redundant wiring removed once my property is re-wired?

When a property is rewired, it is good practice to remove redundant wiring. If this is not possible, any redundant wiring must be permanently disconnected from any electrical supply so that it does not present a risk.  ECEC will ensure this practice is undertaken.


Why are my lights flickering?

If your lights are not LED bulbs, there could be a loose connection; either from the switch, or wiring on the circuit. If you do have LED bulbs and your lights are flickering, this is due to the bulbs themselves, which would need replacing. ECEC offer advice on LED lighting solutions.


Should I get an Extractor Fan Installed?

Given the nature of the space and what your bathroom is constantly used for it is a damp and humid room. Proper bathroom ventilation will not only limit condensation, but it will also help prevent the appearance of mould and mildew which may lead to nasty health implications.  As well as unseen damage to your walls as damp creeps in. Contact us and we will advise you on the best extractor fan based on the size and space of your bathroom.


When do I need a Minor Electrical Works Certificate (Minor Works Certificate)

It is a legal requirement to get a Minor Works Certificate after an electrical installation been carried out in your home. Or when alterations or additions are made to an existing circuit.  ECEC do these certificates following their electrical alterations on your property.


What preparation do I need to do before my property is re-wired?

Remove all you can, such as any carpets and furniture because new cables will be run underneath floors, inside walls and across ceilings. Electricians will need to lift floorboards and cut into walls/ceilings to get the wires in safely. Empty your freezer and store away all valuable items.  ECEC will provide coverings for items that cannot be stored to protect your items from debris and dust.


Why do my electrical circuits keep tripping?

A circuit breaker will trip due to either a circuit shorted or an overloaded circuit. So you can test for a circuit overload, by turning off all the switches on your fuse board, and unplug all appliances, lamps and other electrical devices. Turn on your switches and plug everything back in.  If the problem still occurs contact us as further exploration is required by a qualified Electrician, a service we offer.


Why do my fuses blow?

There are many factors that could be responsible for a blown fuse. This could be an overloaded circuit, too many appliances on one circuit. Or it could simply be that the fuse has become old, ineffective and needs to be replaced. Please contact us and we will come and undertake further exploratory work on your electrics.


When do I need an Electrical Installation Certification Report (EICR)

An EICR is a vital part of electrical safety so the report will check the installation for the supply of electricity,  electrical fittings, and fixed electrical equipment in your home.  Contact us and arrange for an EICR to be undertaken in your property.


Why should I install LED lights?

The benefit of LED lights is that they are an eco-friendly form of lighting, and since LEDs use only a fraction of the energy of an incandescent light bulb there is a dramatic decrease in power costs. Also, money and energy are saved in maintenance and replacement costs due to the long LED lifespan.  Contact us to provide a quote on replacing your old light to a new LED solution.

Rental Properties

On deciding to rent out your property, you have a duty of care to your tenant(s) and therefore ensure that the property is safe and is maintained through their tenure.


What are the electrical requirements I need to undertake prior to renting out my property? (Installation and Test)

Smoke alarms/detectors, A heat detector in the kitchen, A CO2 detector in every room where there is a fuel burning appliance, An EICR undertaken at the property on fixed wiring which need to be done every 5 years, along with a PAT (Portable Appliance Test) undertaken on all your portable appliances

For more information on renting on renting out your property in Scotland


Do I need to get my Fire Alarms/Smoke Detectors Tested

Fire alarms can deteriorate by collecting dirt, losing battery life or through general faults. ECEC can undertake A Fire Detection & Alarm System Certificate.  This test will cover the entire system to ensure everything is functioning, including the mains panel, batteries. This test will also cover heat detectors and CO2 detectors. 


Does your rental property have internal stair lighting and emergency lighting?

If the answer is yes, as well as emergency lighting a legal requirement to protect the safety of occupants should the main lighting fail due to power outage.  ECEC can undertake an Emergency Lighting Periodic Inspection & Testing Certificate.


Unit 30, Imex Business Centre, Bilston Glen Industrial Estate, Loanhead, Edinburgh EH20 9LZ


0131 281 1501